February 2024 Update

We’ve done a ton of stuff. Let me mention three.

Name Decided

I’m going ahead with the name Veiled Age for the game as a whole, as opposed to Mage Hand. Here is a tentative logo. My cousin thinks the E letters are too weird. She’s probably right, but whatevs. Let’s move on.

Design Doc Finished

I finished a 45-page document describing the game/platform as a whole, without touching on any specific storyline. This is for internal use, so I won’t be sharing the whole thing publicly. So why did I bother writing it? I think big creative projects, especially multi-faceted ones, can suffer from scope creep and identity crisis. Having thought about the project almost every day for like 2 years now, I wanted to bring it all together into a north star that will help Andrew and I navigate the thing. I’ll share an excerpt, though, which begins to describe the general “vibe” of Veiled Age, both as a world setting and as fiction series.

VA-excerpt.pdf (2.1 MB)

Adventure #2 Rough Draft Finished

The second adventure, Dwellers of Bodenforst, now has a finished rough draft. As you’d expect, it needs editing, testing, bugfixing and quality improvements galore. However, all the scenes and choices I need have been written, and it sits at a respectable 41,000 words.

The structure is also considerably more ambitious. There’s tons of hidden stuff, and the final chapter has tons of nuance depending on what’s happened up until then. Your ending, I hope, will feel like a natural consequence of all your actions, rather than the more simplistic “there are three alternate ending cutscenes” type of thing we’re used to in games.